To Live in My Body, 2014

 Introduction and Contents

TO LIVE IN MY BODY

 2014

 

This year I want to learn to live in my body

     not just my mind

 

Ridiculous

     We all live in our bodies

                 We can’t live anywhere else

 

We are bound by our skin

     moved by our muscles

                 supported by our bones

                             fed by our blood and lungs

                                         organized by our brains

Of course we live in our bodies

 

But I’m not sure I have...not really

A dancer all my life

     ...but...

I suspect I have not really lived in the body that gives me life

I mean, consciously lived...in...me

 

I think I’ve always been somewhere else

     striving for something else

                 just around the corner...just out of reach

I can almost taste it

If only I could catch up

     do whatever I have to do

                 work harder...work longer...work faster

                             work more perfectly

to get there

...and then...

perhaps

then I can relax

     come back to me

                 back to me and my body

 

This year, however, I have decided to try

to let that go

find what it feels to be me

what it feels to be me in my body

 

I wonder if I will like the ‘me’ I meet?

© A. Maie 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction and contents

The Other, 1996

In Honour of the Birdwoman in us all, 1997