Why Death?, 1998

Introduction and Contents

Why Death?

on the death of Liz’s dog.
August, 1998


Why the experiment...
            why life?

So much time preparing to die
Being ready for...but never ready...
for death.

To love is to lose
            to be hurt
                        to be left alone
                                    to mourn
To live is to fill in time between loving
            to survive each day
                        without despairing...
                                    despairing loss
                                    despairing loneliness

When life gives no reason for be-ing
the self creates its own meaning-fulness
            What do I need to tell myself to survive another day
                        what do I need to tell myself to enjoy each moment of living
                                    to keep the pain away
                                                to forget...ignore...and find my own...
                                                            ...hope?

No, not hope.
That is illusion...naive

                        ...find my own comfort?
                                    ...wholeness?
                                                ...peace?

Yes...
            what do I need to tell myself to find my own peace?

© A. Maie 1998 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction and contents

The Other, 1996